Saturday, September 29, 2012

Things to do, in the Garden, in the fall?

      Well it is getting to be that time of the year where the leaves are changing, the days are getting shorter and for some harvest time! Some of us are starting to plant Fall Crops  and others are closing the garden down for the fall. Which ever your plans for your garden you have, start with a plan. Last week I gave you "10 vegetables to grow in fall" , this week I am compiling a list of other things to do in the fall for you to get started with.
  1)Finish the harvest:You can pick green tomatoes before a frost and they will continue to ripen inside. Pick those that are full size and starting to turn yellow. Wrap each tomato in a piece of newspaper or paper towel. Take a few out at a time and place on a sunny window sill to ripen. Harvest tender crops like peppers, eggplant, and cucumbers before the first frost. Harvest all other above ground crops before a hard freeze. Dig potatoes, Jerusalem artichokes, carrots, onions, and other root vegetables before the ground freezes. Pumpkins won’t continue to ripen after picking but you must pick them before a hard freeze and protect them from freezing. 
Photo By" The Redeemed Gardener
  2)Clean up the vegetable garden: This is the dirt, not so fun part but it needs to be done. Must everything can go in those "Dirt Cheap Compost Bin's", and the rest you can burn on the garden if you would want to!  Cover exposed soil with a layer of compost, straw, leaves or other material, especially in areas that don’t get much snow or plant a "cover crop". Also put away your cages and stakes for next year as well.
  3)Soil test and amend your soil: Fall is a great time to have your soil tested and make adjustments to soil pH or amend nutrient imbalances. Get the soil tested as early as possible, you’ll generally get results back from the lab faster than in the spring but leave time before the soil freezes to add amendments. 
  4)Make garden plans for next year: Perennial plants are mature, so make decisions on whether the garden is too crowded or whether it needs more plants or some changes made. It’s a good time to make some notes about annuals and vegetables that grew well or didn’t do well so you won’t repeat mistakes in the spring. Find those plant tags you stuck in beside plants and write down variety names you want to remember. You’ll be surprised what you forget over the winter or at least I forget a lot, lol! Take some pictures of the mature garden to remind you what it looks like as you drool over plant catalogs in the winter. 
  5)Divide those perennials: "Dividing Plants are free" and a fun gift for family and friends! So get the shovel out and divide some of your perennials!
  6)Fix the lawn:Fall is the perfect time to fertilize the lawn and to repair or replace the grass. Fall fertilization allows for good root growth, and gets the grass off to a good start in the spring. Chopping the leaves that fall on your lawn with a mower and letting them remain on the lawn is another way of returning valuable nutrients back to the soil.
Photo by: The Redeemed
 7)Plant:  Fall is the best time to plant your new additions like trees, shrubs, fruit trees, bulbs, garlic and even your perennials that you have divided!
 8)Start laying out a winter Bible devotional plan!
 9)Tools:   If you decide to fall garden, so to continue to have fresh veggies later on then happy gardening to you! But if you are do for the season like must people are, don't forget this last and most forgotten task that must people do forget. I have been guilty myself!
  Clean those shovels, sharpen those blades and chains, fix those handles, hose down your mower and other equipment and don't forget the underneath side of everything, store everything in its proper place and easy to find for next year, and something to help keep away some of the headache for next year is "PUT STABILIZER IN YOUR GAS" or drain it, lol! I have fussed at myself many time for not doing so, as I yank my shoulder off trying to get something started. You have been there or you wouldn't be laughing right know!
  Well here is a few Ideas, leave your other ideas at the bottom and if you have a blog and a great fall helpful idea, Please feel free to leave a link back for use!

Linked To:
Rural Thursday 
Thursday Favorite things 
Home and Garden Thursday 
FG Friday 78 
Fertilizer Friday 
Frugal Tuesdays! 
Harvest Monday 
Barn Hop 82 
Blog Carnival #28 

16 comments:

  1. Mr. Clint,
    Just want to say thanks for your site and for these tips. While my husband and I have raised a modest vegetable garden for years, we are breaking into more serious homesteading. I find your site to be very helpful. So much so that I have linked back here in an upcoming post in my brand new blog documenting our homesteading journey. The post should be up by noon EST tomorrow. I'd really appreciate any advice you could offer and/or would love for you to do a guest post once my blog becomes more established with followers.
    Thanks again and many blessings to you and your lovely wife,
    Marcia
    http://www.blueacrefarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and for the great comments. Also for linking me back to you. I will stop by today and check it out. Please comment as often as you want. We are all here to help each other learn.!

      Delete
  2. Great and helpful list! I'm not very good at taking care of my tools...will have to put that one at the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy Clint! Great garden tips for fall.. as always you are thorough and humorous! I've missed you!!! I've started some of my garden clean up too. The biggest task will be digging up and dividing my Dahlia tubers this year...

    S0 nice to have you back with all the ' farmgirls ' this week!
    Enjoy this wonderful season! I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been so busy this year! It seems there is not enough time in the day. Hopefully things will slow down for a while?????????

      Delete
  4. A good fall to-do list. My methods of gardening have changed over the years and I think I've finally found what works well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Clint, I'm Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com) visiting from the Farmgirl Friday blog hop.

    Great tips/reminders! I never give enough attention to the shutting down of the garden

    Anyway, it’s nice to "meet" you. I hope you can pop over to my blog and say hi sometime if you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to meet you as well Anne! I will hop over! Please stop in as often as you want and always comment!

      Delete
  7. This is a great list Clint. I should be out doing these right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips - especially like #8. I am guity too of not taking good care of my gardening tools. I appreciate you giving us this wonderful list of fall garden chores at Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure this article has touched all the internet people,
    its really really pleasant post on building up new blog.



    Feel free to visit my webpage does green coffee bean max actually work

    ReplyDelete